Westboro Baptist Church hasn't been around forever. As a matter of fact, it's first ever "public service" was held in the 50's. There are people alive that are older than this church. Nevertheless, this Church does now exist and thrive in the residential suburbs of Topeka, KS.
The church has gained much notoriety since it's inception but none more so than it's openly and active anti-gay movement that had begun in the early 90's. Their message is strong and fundamental. I even give them credit because when they say something, they actually mean it, and believe it; I don't know of anyone more convicted by their beliefs than these hate mongrels.
The hate speech that has become synonymous with this church and infuriating in the eyes of public is a red herring to the real issue at hand. Their exercising of free speech is just what this country was founded on, yet it is not welcomed anywhere outside of their church of 71. This is where we get into this strange area of uncertainty. We, as a country, cling to our patriotic roots as a means of sanity; a way to feel normal in the eyes of our peers as we jump at the first sign of anti-American defamation. And in doing so, we take for granted our freedoms. Speech, assembly, petition, press, and RELIGION
The problem, however, is not this one particular church. We look at this Church and we say "They got it wrong. This is not what God wants." Well, I'm going to pretend for a minute that I am not holier than thou and actually consider the message:
Where could these ideas be coming from?
* Leviticus 18:22 - "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
* Corinthians 6:9-10 - "…Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
* Deuteronomy 22:20,21 - "But if ... evidences of virginity are not found for the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..."
* Mark 9:43 - "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched."
“ Luke 16:18 - "Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.
And as we can find below, Adultery is punishable by death as well as many other things.
HERE'S A LIST OF ACTS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH:
* Homosexual sex
* A betrothed woman who does not cry out while being raped
* A woman who is found not to have been a virgin on the night of her wedding
* Worshiping other gods
* Witchcraft (Exodus 22:18)
* Taking God's name in vain or cursing God's name
* Cursing a parent
SCRIPTURE ADVOCATING SLAVERY:
"Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ." (Ephesians 6:5)
"Slaves, obey your human masters in everything; don't work only while being watched, in order to please men, but work wholeheartedly, fearing the Lord." (Colossians 3:22)
"Slaves are to be submissive to their masters in everything, and to be well-pleasing, not talking back ." (Titus 2:9)
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. " (1 Peter 2:18)
Leviticus 27:3-7 - Here's a graph showing the value of a person in Shekels of silver in case you had ever planned on trading slaves
When presented with the sights of grieving parents, and picketing children, we can't help but to think "How can anyone person have so much hate for a stranger. A stranger who has done nothing but give their life to protect a country that they love. How can we stop this. What can I do to end this hatred." And for the majority of those who manage to conjure up these somewhat natural thoughts, most change the channel or turn the page. For the few that are directly affected, the first step they take is towards Washington and limiting the freedoms of this church...
...How is it not painfully obvious what the right step would be?
Even though 88% of Americans claim to be certain that Jesus will be returning within the next 50 years, almost no one will support the message of the Westboro Baptist Church; a church that has merely followed the directions laid out in their holy book better than any of their fellow self-claiming Christians.
As long as their hate speech continues, and those who are directly affected disregard the real matter, and as much as I disagree with their message, I will continue to support their right to free speech.